Monday, August 12, 2013

Mary Willis Walker - The Red Scream: A Novel of Suspense

76. The Red Scream: A Novel of Suspense by Mary Willis Walker (1994)
Molly Cates Series Book 1
Length: 324 pages
Genre: Contemporary Mystery
Started: 9 August 2013
Finished: 12 August 2013
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 25 July 2001
Why do I have it? I like contemporary mysteries and Mary Willis Walker is a new author for me. 

Texas-based crime reporter Molly Cates has just published her first book, describing the blood-curdling exploits of serial killer Louie Bronk. Now on death row, Louie's sentence is about to be carried out and Molly will be present as a witness. She wants to write about it - the final coda to Louie's story. 

But suddenly, she's being strongly discouraged by her boss at The Lone Star Monthly and by a multi-millionaire real estate developer to not continue with her writing. Charlie McFarland - the multi-millionaire real estate developer - lost his first wife, Tiny, to Louie's horrendous murder spree. She was Louie's most famous victim and the only one whose murder is a capital offense. 

Then Molly starts to receive dark hints that Louie may not have killed Tiny at all. There is another murder following Louie's M. O. - one that he couldn't have committed. The veracity of Molly's book is questioned and then her very life is threatened. Caught between a rock and a hard place, Molly realizes that by attempting to save Louie she is putting her own life on the line, and discrediting her own work. 

Honestly, I wasn't expecting this book to be as good as it actually was. I found the characters to be extremely likable; the book was well-written and ultimately the mystery was engaging enough to keep me guessing until the very end. I give this book an A+! and I plan to find some other books by Mary Willis Walker to read in the future.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)