Friday, August 24, 2012

Joanna Trollope - A Village Affair

71. A Village Affair by Joanna Trollope (1989)
Length: 304 pages
Genre: Contemporary Fiction
Started: 22 August 2012
Finished: 24 August 2012
Where did it come from? From Paperback Swap
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 17 August 2012
Why do I have it? I like Joanna Trollope as an author and have read and enjoyed two other books by her in the past.

Alice Jordan is a young wife and mother who ostensibly has everything she has ever wanted in her life: a beautiful house in the quiet little English village of Pitcombe, a dull but well-meaning barrister husband and three adorable young children. Instead of being overjoyed, however, Alice - once an extremely talented artist - is depressed and, since the birth of her children, unable to paint. When she meets Clodagh Unwin - the imperiously wayward daughter of local nobility - Alice's life changes immeasurably.

Clodagh has recently returned from America, supposedly nursing her wounds from a broken love affair. The firm and fast friendship that forms between both women soon turns into something more when Clodagh falls in love with Alice and seduces her. Their burgeoning love affair releases Alice from her depression: she becomes more loving towards her husband and children, is more outgoing toward members of the community, and has found her artistic 'joie de vivre' once again.

However, once the women's clandestine affair is discovered, the villagers become standoffish towards them, Alice's husband is shaken to his core, and Alice will have to make the biggest decision of her life.

This is the third of Joanna Trollope's books that I've read, and I have to say that A Village Affair was one book that I didn't want to end. I really haven't read any of Joanna Trollope's books in quite a while, but have just recently got back into reading her work again. I give this book an A+! and am looking forward to reading more of her books very soon.

A+! - (96-100%)

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)