Thursday, March 22, 2012

Sara Davidson - Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties

25. Loose Change: Three Women of the Sixties by Sara Davidson (1977)
Length: 367 pages
Genre: Non-Fiction
Started: 18 March 2012
Finished: 22 March 2012
Where did it come from? From a Library Book Sale
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 1 June 2009
Why do I have it? I like quite a bit of non-fiction and Sara Davidson is a new author for me.

This book follows the lives and friendships of three young women from their first meeting with each other in 1962 at the University of California at Berkley through the events that "radicalized" them all after college. They all were living during the tumultuous decade known as the "Swinging Sixties" in the "birthplace" of many radical movements - Berkley. Susie is a young woman just becoming involved with the Free Speech Movement in Berkley and finds herself navigating through the early struggle for women's rights. Tasha enters the trendy art and society scene in New York. Sara, an idealistic journalist, travels the country reporting on the stories of the time.

I did enjoy this book very much and thought that it was very well-written. I grew up in the sixties in England; and although there was quite a radical culture that developed in parts of England during the sixties; I never really moved in those circles during college life myself, so never became "radicalized" the way others may have been during the sixties. I give this book an A!

A! - (90-95%)



Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)