Thursday, September 15, 2011

Edith Wharton - Ethan Frome

48. Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton (1911)
Length: 176 pages
Genre: Historical Fiction
Started: 5 September 2011
Finished: 15 September 2011
Where did it come from? From Bookmooch
How long has it been on my TBR pile? Since 2 May 2011
Why do I have it? Mareena and I were watching the movie version with Liam Neeson when I asked her to find a copy for me to read.

A farmer in turn-of-the-century New England struggles to survive and to make his farm successful. First he is tethered to the land by his helpless parents; then by his ailing wife. When Ethan's wife's alluring cousin comes to stay, she and Ethan become trapped in a hopelessly passionate love affair. Trapped by fear of public condemnation and the bonds of a loveless marriage, Ethan starts down a path which could eventually lead to tragedy for all involved.

I had originally wanted to read this book after seeing the movie with Liam Neeson. Mareena and I caught the last part of the movie and were shocked at how sad it was. I love a sad book and Mareena loves the classics. I give this book an A+!

A+! - (96-100%)\

Till we Meet Again, Glow Brightly as Moonlight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello and welcome to my blog. I'm a newbie as far as book blogging goes, having been blogging at my daughter's blog for only about two and a half years. Now it's time for me to get my feet wet on my own. Please be gentle with this blogger. Love to hear from you all. Have a great day! :)